Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Deputy Leader - associated thoughts and help required...........

Dear all, I have been a 'sleeping' member for some two and a half years and watched PP grow from afar. Now I am back on board and wondered as to whom I should turn to for help in possibly running for the Deputy Leader vacancy? I am approaching 52 years old and been involved with politics for 25 years. I have stood in 2 x GE's, 2 x Euro's, 1 x Welsh Assembly and countless local elections! I feel that I have quite a bit of experience to offer, but is there anyone in the PP that can guide me into my most suited role on our ship? Avast ye mateys! Plus, I am looking to form a branch in London SE at Greenwich aswell. Thanking you all in advance for any useful advice.

Comments

• Dear JimK, yes I have, thank you. My message is meant to test the water for different opinions on the subject. I notice that there hasn't been a Deputy Leader for some time, why is that? Best. Bluebird
  • Dear Drowz0r, thank you. All makes sense in what you say re. Deputies. FYI. I have stood in 2 x GE's [once for the Eng Dems and once for the Christian Party], 2 x Euro's [once for the Eng Dems and once for the Christian P.A.], 1 x Welsh Assembly [Eng Dems] and loads of locals [Independent mainly, but also Eng Dem and Christian P.A.]. My joining of the PP [two and a half years ago] came about after I attended a 'NOTA' meeting in London; Pirate Party was mentioned and I became 'hooked'! PP has huge potential as younger and cleverer voters take up the reins on the 'web'. One of my campaign mantras is for 16 y.o.'s to have the vote! Smaller, relevant parties are now in the ascendant. I have loads of experience and this voyage is about to very interesting! Plus, I'm about to launch another branch in London. Best wishes. Bluebird
  • Dear Chesha, there is a common thread, that of 'rebellion' methinks?! I have followed politics since 1973 when we joined the 'Common Market' and have been actively standing as a candidate since 1990. PPUK, Eng Dems, Christian Party etc. are all 'Fringe' parties, something outside the mainstream and therefore inherently attractive! I have always been a fair-minded 'rebel' type, just finding the right political home in the 'radical centre' has been the problem! Good luck in your Leadership bid. Best. Bluebird.
  • I've just read through some of the Christian Party's manifesto and it is frankly ludicrous at best. As you stood for them, I'll assume that you share a majority of their views, many of which are at complete odds with those of PPUK e.g. their anti-gay, anti-abortion stances and attempts to stifle criticisms of Christianity.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on their current manifesto, and those areas in particular, as I couldn't possibly give my support to someone who shared such outdated views, especially if they were applying to be Deputy Leader of one of the most progressive parties in the UK..
  • Dear JimK, don't worry yourself, I won't be standing for DL of PPUK in any case, as far better candidates than I will be doing so. The Christian Party, like any party, is made up of members not entirely in agreement with Policy. The Christian Party is not anti-gay, it's anti-gay marriage, as defined in The Bible, and naturally says so in accordance. It is, as you point out, anti-abortion and anti-assisted suicide, all of which are abhorrent to Christians. If you call [PPUK] 'Progressive' for supporting the NHS [ Labour, NHAP?] and Palestine, then fine, but those pools are well out of 'Pirate' waters and make PPUK look like 'chancers', rather than concentrating on digital rights and copyright! If you were to analyse any or all fringe party policies, then you would see a similar pattern emerge either 'left' or 'right', as if to offer nothing new, hence sticking with the main theme. Did you read the Christian Party or Christian Peoples' Alliance manifesto, there are marked differences. I have been involved with politics for many years, so choose your words carefully before you launch into a tirade. I'm glad that you pointed things out, but frankly, am not worried, this is good debate. Believe what you want to believe, but never forget the facts. Bluebird
  • >The Christian Party, like any party, is made up of members not entirely in agreement with Policy

Of course, but to stand for election on that manifesto requires a more broad agreement with it.

>The Christian Party is not anti-gay, it's anti-gay marriage

Tomato, tomayto

>rather than concentrating on digital rights and copyright!

PPUK regularly opposes the idea of being a single issue party.

>Did you read the Christian Party or Christian Peoples' Alliance manifesto

Christian Party.

>choose your words carefully before you launch into a tirade

No tirade here. Your political past suggests some of your views would be at odds with some core Pirate principles, so naturally I'd want to dig further if you were thinking of putting yourself forward for a position.
  • Dear JimK, before you start any 'witch-hunt', as I've already stated, I shalln't be standing for the DL election. If PPUK contain 'keyboard' detectives like yourself, mimicing 'Stasi-like' attributes on members, then I'd rather sail off into the sunset.......................Perhaps you ought to show your face so that I may see my 'accuser'? Bluebird
  • >Perhaps you ought to show your face so that I may see my 'accuser'?

Not going to dignify this with a proper reply.

>Faith and Piracy are also quite compatible as Mark has demonstrated.

Absolutely. I wouldn't suggest that.
  • Dear Drowz0r and JimK, thank you for your replies. You have given me all the answers I need. I am not one to shy away and hide things [like my face], and welcome your comments. I shall be indeed be sailing off into the sunset as I'm on the wrong vessel! Bluebird
  • Dear Chesha,
    Understood, but I don't subscribe to being slandered by intellectual smoke and mirrors, not my style, and hence, no more participation from me. Good luck with your nomination, I'm sure that you'll make a fine leader, something that you have to show your face for! Tata. Bluebird