Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Board of Governors Nomination - Andrew "K`Tetch" Norton

While I'm often known for my long-winded posts, someone else has already beaten me to that shtick (looking at you Stephen), so I'll keep it short.
The details of my life can be found at my bio. Suffice to say, I've been a Governor for the last 2 years, and chair of the Board since January. I want to continue serving the Party.

I've done my best to work with everyone and stay communicative with all despite being thousands of miles away (my meeting attendance and participation has been among the best), and when it's come to issues, I've tried to stay on top of them, be it the PPI vote, or arranging the interim leader (both issues I was the lead on.

While I obviously have the skill-set for an executive position, I already have one (two actually) and so couldn't take on a dedicated workload, but the Governor duties are those that I can handle without issue.

Finally, I just think it's sometimes a good idea to have at least one official who is outside the UK, It gives flexibility of timezones (as I write this, its 8pm here, while 1am in the UK) meaning we're not all linked to the same time cycle. i'm also somewhat isolated from the UK press, which means British media is less likely to cause an unconscious bias in my thinking, and I can appreciate the facts more (important for us) with an outside perspective.

Most of all though, next month marks 9 years since I joined the Pirate Party (June 2006) and if I'm still here now, I'm not likely to be unreliable and vanish.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Tagged:

Comments

• Seconded. You are knowledgeable, able, and experienced.
  • Confirming my support for Andrew here.
  • Surprised absolutely no-one's got any questions at all for me.
  • I'm having the exact same thoughts on my thread Andrew...

Here's one: How does the time difference between the US & UK affect you during meetings? Does it mess up any sleeping patterns or is it just non-existent?
  • edited June 2015
    (bugs bugs bugs and a slow website. ignore the double post)
  • Here's one: How does the time difference between the US & UK affect you during meetings? Does it mess up any sleeping patterns or is it just non-existent?
    I'm 5 hours behind (sometimes 4 right around the summer time chance). So for the meetings, they're typically 20:30, which is 3:30pm for me. So the biggest problem for me is usually the noise my kids make when they get home from school at 3:40.

I think the liveblog is the best example of how it can work out. I started late, (because 9am for me is 2pm in the UK) but I could go right to the end of the count for all our seats, because 5am UK = midnight here.

So uk mornings = bad. Evenings and late night stuff = good. it's all swings and roundabouts.