Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Board of Governors Nomination - Jack Allnutt

Hi, I'm Jack and I'd like to put myself forward for re-election to the Board of Governors.

To give a brief history of my involvement with the party:

I have been a member since 2009 and I have been a Pirate activist now for a little over 5 years. I started off organising meetups in Manchester in early 2010, and took on the role as North-West Regional Administration Officer shortly afterwards. Later that year when the Board of Governors was created I was elected as part of its inaugural intake and I served a (short) term as one of its rotating chairmen late last year.

I have been involved in campaigning for Pirate candidates in many elections in (Greater) Manchester: Manchester Gorton and Bury North in the 2010 General Election, Oldham East and Saddleworth by-election in 2011, Bury council election in 2011, Manchester council elections and the Manchester Central byelection in 2012, and Salford and Eccles, Manchester central and Manchester Gorton in 2015. I was also a candidate in the European Parliament elections for the North-West in 2014.

For most of Andy Halsall's tenure as Campaigns Officer I served as his deputy (technically I think I'm still nominally the deputy campaigns officer, but I don't think I've ever had any contact from Will outside of a few appearances at the PPUK HQ) performing various duties. One of these was as PPUK's international coordinator, where I attended Pirate Parties International meetings and helped in the preparation of setting up the European Pirate Party (PPEU) - including (singe-handedly) organising a PPEU conference in Manchester and (together with Andy) editing the Common European Election Platform on which 12 Pirate Parties from across Europe stood on during the EP election campaign.

Suffice to say, I'm pretty well battle-tested. The last five years have been fun (if stressful, at times) and I'd love to continue to help shape the party over the next five.

If anybody has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Tagged:

Comments

• I've worked on the Board with Jack for years and look forward to working many more years with him.
  • I suppose a common question would be, if you've served as Deputy Campaigns Manager and seeing as one of those on the NEC is needed 'bout now, have you considered running for that role? Being battle-tested certainly would help there.
    I did consider it, yes, but in the end I decided not to contest that position for a couple of reasons.

1. I recently (~6 months ago) started a new job which has eaten some of the spare time I used to have available to put in to Party work. The Campaigns role needs a lot of TLC and I'm not sure I could sustain that effort indefinitely.

2. There's a potential for a conflict of interest at my workplace (some of you already know who I work for, but I don't want to broadcast it too widely). My current and previous positions within the party pose no problem, but if I were to take on the Campaigns role it may become trickier.

3. Somebody who is interested in the Campaigns role has already approached me asking if I would be willing to second them. I think they would make an excellent Campaigns Officer so I shall be supporting them instead of running myself.

Of course, just because I'm not running for the CM role doesn't mean I'm not available to help the person that gets that position; Board members should be active in local branches and/or in operational teams backing the NEC members an I'll certainly be doing that!
  • Hi Jack, I notice you don't have a seconding yet? Do you need one? Am I able to second you if you're seconding me? Is that a thing? I would be very pleased to do that for you if possible, I'm not seconding anyone yet :)
  • Yes, you can do that.