Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

New site design feedback (and shameless self-promotion).

edited June 2015 in General
Hi guys & gals,

I revamped my website (http://edvard.io) over the weekend and was wondering if fellow pirates would mind giving some feedback on either the technical operation or design (or both) - Could be as detailed or as vague as you like. I am aware of a few issues but the more bugs I can swash, the better :)

Here comes the shameless self-promotion... although, I'm not sure of the rule on this? So I'll not mention anything specific...

When you're browsing the site... If you come across a page called "hire me" and you happen to need any of those services, please get in touch! Mention that you're a pirate and we'll work out a discount too.

Many thanks in advance,

Ed.

Comments

• Is it a joke website?
  • A joke website? I don't follow?
  • It looks pretty no-nonsense and gives a bit of an idea about your work. I didn't follow the YouTube link but some visitors might find that off-putting, depending on their criteria for selecting persons to do business with. It might be helpful to state vaguely what sort of text you'll be publishing in the books/PDFs. Good luck!
  • 'Evelyn (my daughter) and I after' should be 'Evelyn (my daughter) and me'.
  • I'd dispute azrael's comment above. Nothing wrong with "and I" here.

The "Hire me" page takes a while to get to the point. It states up-front that you're a freelancer but doesn't say in what. Somewhere near the start it'd be good to clarify that your work is mostly web industry - either in the very first paragraph or even in the header ("Edward is a ...").
  • Reads to me as if 'Evelyn and <something.' are the object rather than the subject of the sentence... though maybe it isn't a full sentence? I see it as expanding to 'This is a picture of [Evelyn and] me'. Whereas 'this is a picture of [...] I' doesn't work.

Happy to be corrected though as grammar isn't my strongest skill :D
  • If it expands as you suggest then it's a complement of a preposition rather than an object of the sentence per se. But then "me" would be right.

It's not a full sentence, though. (Interestingly, I expanded it differently in my head: "Pictured are Evelyn (my daughter) and I", in which case "I" is part of a conjoined subject.)
  • @trevj said: It looks pretty no-nonsense and gives a bit of an idea about your work. I didn't follow the YouTube link but some visitors might find that off-putting, depending on their criteria for selecting persons to do business with. It might be helpful to state vaguely what sort of text you'll be publishing in the books/PDFs. Good luck!
    Thanks for the comments. The Youtube link is actually a hook and a statement about my Epilepsy; A few years back, I had a seizure at a peace festival and of all the places to be discriminated against for being disabled, I was labelled a drunk and an idiot for needing an ambulance. But I understand what you're saying. It's actually the first thing a few people have mentioned when I've asked for feedback - so I think that shows that it's working. I'll definitely update the books page - Thanks for your feedback! :)
    @azrael said: 'Evelyn (my daughter) and I after' should be 'Evelyn (my daughter) and me'.

@GeorgeWalkden said: I'd dispute azrael's comment above. Nothing wrong with "and I" here.

The "Hire me" page takes a while to get to the point. It states up-front that you're a freelancer but doesn't say in what. Somewhere near the start it'd be good to clarify that your work is mostly web industry - either in the very first paragraph or even in the header ("Edward is a ...").

@azrael said: Reads to me as if 'Evelyn and 'something' are the object rather than the subject of the sentence... though maybe it isn't a full sentence? I see it as expanding to 'This is a picture of [Evelyn and] me'. Whereas 'this is a picture of [...] I' doesn't work.

Happy to be corrected though as grammar isn't my strongest skill

@GeorgeWalkden said: If it expands as you suggest then it's a complement of a preposition rather than an object of the sentence per se. But then "me" would be right.

It's not a full sentence, though. (Interestingly, I expanded it differently in my head: "Pictured are Evelyn (my daughter) and I", in which case "I" is part of a conjoined subject.)
    Haha! This exchange really made me laugh. The Zoidberg meme popped straight into my head.. Good old Zoidberg

But I do understand the others points - thanks for the feedback guys!
    @Drowz0r said: Yeah some kind of outline in skills is good. Freelancers could clean gutters, build a database, chef for the evening, fix a car... Some kind of menu would be nice.
    Could you clarify what you mean by a menu? - Do you mean something that responds to device size?

Thanks everyone!
  • Ed... Can I ask why the website is Hot Pink?
  • @Drowz0r said: Could you clarify what you mean by a menu?

Yeah uh, something I used to do a while back was this thing but it doesn't need to be interactive. Handy to have a printable version too.

Do you mean something that responds to device size?

Nah but that is generally good too. I never got around to that myself.
    I like the idea, but I think it would lose me money in the long run. A lot of my clients aren't technically adept, so the best way for me to find out their needs is to sit down and talk to them about what it is they're trying to acheive.
    @MichaelDuck said: Ed... Can I ask why the website is Hot Pink?
    I guess so, but it's not a particularly amazing explanation to be honest. The truth is, I've always really liked the colour and felt as though it inspires energy and excitement; just what I want people to feel about the website, my services and me too. That said. I can see why people would load the website and be like "Jesus! Where are my shades?".