Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Board of Governors Nomination - Dylan Maryk

Hi Pirates, I’m Dylan Maryk, and I would like to nominate myself for the recently opened position on the Board of Governors. Liam Soutar has very kindly already agreed to second me. I realise we are far past the times of electoral excitement, so I will be concise.

I have been a member of the Pirate Party for approximately two years now, and while I have not been as physically involved or as consistently vocal on issues as I would like to have been, I have kept myself up to date with goings on within the party, have attended both of the two most recent Pirate Party conferences and contributed two blog posts to the Pirate Party website regarding freedom of speech and DRIPA. I would hence love the opportunity to become a little more active in the core activities of the party, even within the time constraints of being a full-time student and part-time software developer (both for others and for my own personal enjoyment).

I am also a member of the Open Rights Group, themselves a strong advocate of digital rights, and while again I am not as actively involved as I could be, I have been to many of their events and even volunteered at their major conference last year. I have some experience with event management myself, having organised and run my university debating society’s Debating Open last year (I am not personally a fantastic debater, but I do tend to enjoy any opportunity).

I would add that I consider myself an internationalist more than a Brit or an Englishman. I try to travel as frequently as time and money permit, and I think of this as important in wanting to understand wider viewpoints which can have an impact on my politics.

More than ever I think this is an exciting time to get as involved as possible in Pirate politics. Our viewpoints on surveillance, free speech and democracy are consistently shown to be of value in modern politics, and I think that during the next five years the party has the time and ability to really shape itself, expand and, what I would consider a major victory, get a Pirate MP in Parliament. If we focus on moving in the right direction, I see no reason why this cannot be achieved. It would excite me to be even a slightly more integral part of this.

I realise this is a very brief statement, so any questions are more than welcome.

Comments

• Ah! Dylan! I'd happily support your accession to the board - but it seems Liam beat me to the punch.

I'd also happily invite you to contribute to Pirate Youth, if you feel like you would like to contribute do get in touch! :D
  • I've said I'd love to get involved in Pirate Youth, so I absolutely will!
  • What are your opinions on TTIP (see http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html ) ?

Also, do you have a view on Safe Harbor data law (US and EU) ? Recent news: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/23/us-intelligence-services-surveillance-privacy

Personally I want TTIP to be transparently debated and hopefully defeated because it would most likely reduce the food quality controls, labelling and protections that we enjoy in the EU. As for Safe Harbor, I want the scope to be limited to restrict access to the NSA and other clandestine agencies. If you share these views, I'll most likely vote for you :-)
  • On TTIP, I am not as clued up as I could be on the details, though I lean more towards being against it. Like you I would always advocate open debate and discussion versus secret negotiations.

On Safe Harbor, it quite simplistically seems to me further demonstration of the NSA's unfettered ability to conduct mass surveillance without proper legal safeguards in place, and thus should be challenged. I'm not sure I can say much more than that I agree with the core principles of the party on this one.

On taking up other roles, I would be open to suggestions, though I do have minimal time at the moment.
  • Thanks for the reply. I voted for you. Good luck!