Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Policy suggestion: Recognition for Micronations and Cybernations

https://bitnation.co/
If we are to embrace the empowering effect that modern communications technologies have had for people, we should start by officially, as a country, recognising the choices of our friends who opt for a different national path. I refer to the micronations such as Sealand and Freedonia. I refer to distributed and virtual nations such as BitNation. If national borders just aren't what they used to be any more thanks to the internet, why should we put ourselves on the wrong side of history?
There is the Declaration of Independence of Cyberspace. Any forward thinking party worth its salt should see that these expressions of freedom are to be celebrated and worked with, not against. Appoint an official Ambassador to the Micronations. Establish consular simulations in the virtual worlds for diplomatic training and testing of new diplomatic paradigms. Work with, not against, these pioneering spirits.

Comments

• Hmm... It sounds interesting, that's for sure.
  • Dan,
    Please see the Nat Libs web-site: www.nationalliberal.org for more info regarding small Nation self-determination. My friends Graham Williamson and Upkar Singh Rai help run the party. Upkar is standing in the London Mayoral Election in May for the NLP.
    Bluebird
  • I've very briefly spoken with Graham Williamson - he mentioned he believes in working with other parties like Pirates where we agree.

There isn't any harm to us recognising places like Sealand but Sealand, if granted independence would be pretty screwed. No NHS and all those other good things we get from the state.

I often wonder how well micronations are thought through. I'm open to the idea though.
  • I believe it will be to the benefit of micronations if we are prepared to properly support them in their endeavours than leave them in a sort of legal no-man's-land like they are now, where they technically should be independent and have done all the things they can to achieve that, but without its proper recognition are left unable to engage with the systems of foreign policies and trade. Yes, they would need suitably scaled interfaces with such systems, but if you're nuts enough to go micronational I think you deserve respect and a sense of 'alright, if you really want to go it alone, here you go, a proper chance to!' - Some micronations will sink, others will swim. But if they want to be taken seriously, should this be denied of them? What prestige or pride does the UK have to defend by not allowing them?
  • Besides, I thought those who actually went to live on Sealand basically relinquished such tax paid things as councils and the NHS...?
  • I'm not sure - I did some looking into things like Sealand some years ago. It was pretty dead but seems to have some more recent posts... maybe it's become something now but it doesn't seem to be.

My old account still works. Woopie.

In fact I even found an old comment of mine from 2015 talking about us.

I think there is reasonably minimal risk to us formally recognising these micronations and I expect people would find it something a bit interesting about us.

Seems like everything to gain and nothing to lose.