Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Glasgow Meetup notes and bletherings

12/Jan/2017 - Clutha Bar, Glasgow

Just as a quick note - it was so freaking sweet that there was THUNDERSNOW on the same day as the first Pirate Party Glasgow meetup in 2017! Yaldi!

So it was just the two of us, myself Finbar and AdventurePrize.

We talked on a number of issues from the ridiculous (we had the same local pub in Chorlton) to the incredulous (does Scotland have it’s own Data Retention Act), so I’ve noted down the general flow of topics. There may be some actions for us to specifically go out and seek further information, but if there’s anything you want to share or shed light on please feel free either through Discord or on the community forum.

What specifically do we want to achieve from this?

Bring attention and greater transparency to Glasgow City Council (GCC) and their procurement, governance and operational capabilities - because something ain’t right about it.
The introduction of a traffic lights system on Data acquisition and Surveillance - i.e. cameras, anpr, localised geotracking, facial recognition systems etc.. for Public and Commercial spaces.
Transparency and influence over the local Transportation (bus/train/subway) network’s Data Collection and retention policies.
To ultimately get elected to influence Tech policy for the better

PPUK - Main Policies

We agreed that we both needed to read the manifesto in depth and absorb the material. There are a few clear distinctions between the GE Manifesto and those which are already in place in scotland (NHS Scotland operates differently to “NHS” in England).
We discussed the impact of an Irish Split or re-unionification, but i can’t remember what we came up with.
We also discussed the need for there to be a more immersive induction programme for new PPUK members - i.e. giving them a tour of the party and engaging with them from day 1.

Glasgow Branch / Scottish Community

Does anyone know how many PPUK members there are in Scotland?
Is there a separate Data Retention Act up here?
Just exactly what are the distinctly “local” issues that can be influenced through Holyrood - i.e. what are the reserved/non-reserved (devolved powers) that differ from rUK.
Which Councils have stepped back from the COSLA (no idea) agreement and it’s subsequent impact.
EU Referendum and Scotlands political landscape - WTF is going on and how can we position ourselves to make them most of it - ideas on a postcard please!

Local Glasgow issues

Concerns are growing about the Smart Cities programme
Lack of information about how to run for Council within GCC

Next Steps

We agreed to meet again in a fortnight after nitpicking the GE Manifesto!

Comments

• For what it's worth, one of the things we're hoping to tackle after getting IT infrastructure sorted out is improving management of membership data so we can more easily find out where members are based and how many members we have in a given location
  • Does anyone know how many PPUK members there are in Scotland?
    Nah we don't track our membership in any kind of way so only know those who come forward openly. We have had a lot of requests around Glasgow and Edinburgh for Pirates to meet with them but it can be difficult getting these people to meet. The key is to literally be a beacon for a while and people should organically find you. Standing in elections is also a good way to facilitate this.

...speaking of which, you already seem to have some local policies together:
    Concerns are growing about the Smart Cities programme
    Lack of information about how to run for Council within GCC
    Bring attention and greater transparency to Glasgow City Council (GCC) and their procurement, governance and operational capabilities - because something ain’t right about it.
    The introduction of a traffic lights system on Data acquisition and Surveillance - i.e. cameras, anpr, localised geotracking, facial recognition systems etc.. for Public and Commercial spaces.
    Transparency and influence over the local Transportation (bus/train/subway) network’s Data Collection and retention policies.
    To ultimately get elected to influence Tech policy for the better
  • Hi. Good things have started. Keen to attend next meet - Clutha sounds OK - any idea date/time?
  • Hello!

Sorry for the late reply but the next meeting is tomorrow Thursday 26th January at 19:30 at the Clutha Bar in Glasgow!
  • Yep - had to miss it - but am up for the next one - not 3rd/4th - ?mid week