Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Internal Nominations - My questions

edited February 3 in Candidate
With the polls closing this week on Thursday at 23:55, i felt i should really ask a few questions of those who are standing for internal elections. I don't have any preference of candidates and require some further "nudging" to be pointed in one direction or the other.

- Should you be elected to power, how will you raise the profile of PPUK?
- Which policy of PPUK's GE Manifesto do you rally behind the most?
- What will you bring to enhance internal community engagement and get our 500+members active again?
- You are stuck in a lift with your idol - who is that idol and what would you discuss? (just a bit of fun)

Thanks
Finbar
Tagged:

Comments

• Very good questions! I shall do my best to answer them.

I would encourage as many local candidates to stand. I would also continue pushing our brilliant press releases, and keep the word flowing about our existence.

- Which policy of PPUK's GE Manifesto do you rally behind the most?
    "All are equal under the law" is a quote from the Policy page that rings with me the most. I adore equality, in all its forms.

- What will you bring to enhance internal community engagement and get our 500+members active again?
    As I've posted previously, engaging with the membership will be one of the things I want to tackle. Through podcasts, emails, meetings... Whatever. I'm open to suggestions, so feel free to make them!

- You are stuck in a lift with your idol - who is that idol and what would you discuss? (just a bit of fun)
    Benedict Cumberbatch. I want to know how Sherlock survived the Reichenbach Fall.
  • "I adore equality, in all its forms. " Equality or equity?
    what do you think is the best way to forge PPUK into more of a coherent unit, especially on policy we need a united front. i.e. issues/topics such as UBI, Immigration and so on can vary greatly between members.
    Along similar lines how would you propose to refresh the manifesto going forward and keep it up to date?
  • "I adore equality, in all its forms. " Equality or equity?
    That's my favourite of the core principles that we adhere to, as can be seen on our Policy page. But of course, equality and equity feed into each other. Treating everyone fairly and impartially does at a very basic level mean everyone is treated equally. :3 So... equity and equality, both great principles.

What do you think is the best way to forge PPUK into more of a coherent unit, especially on policy we need a united front. i.e. issues/topics such as UBI, Immigration and so on can vary greatly between members.
    Essentially, it's important to know that you can't lease everyone. It's actually impossible to have everyone pleased at the same time, really, when it comes to large groupings of people. PPUK included.
    But having regular discussions, debates, etc. to find out what popular opinion is within the party is key. After all, we are a party of similar opinions, and we should be open to debate. Working together to find the best solution to things. So there isn't really a better way than simply working together to work past issues. Again, as always, I'm open to being corrected and/or hearing suggestions if you have any. ;)

Along similar lines how would you propose to refresh the manifesto going forward and keep it up to date?
    We're working on a brilliant way behind-scenes to go through more Crowdsourcing on our manifesto. ^^ So I won't say much. But yeah... we are definitely moving towards more crowdsourcing of the party manifesto and policies and such. Woo!
  • "But having regular discussions, debates, etc. to find out what popular opinion is within the party is key. " How would you set this up and ensure it happened? What format would you consider fit for this purpose?

"We're working on a brilliant way behind-scenes to go through more Crowdsourcing on our manifesto. " Interesting, following this your thoughts on liquid democracy? For example the app represent?

I love the clean and clear policies of our Icelandic party, would you have thoughts on doing something similar for the UK, Whilst maintaing a detailed manifesto for GE's? ( ref Core-Policies and Pirate Codex )
  • "But having regular discussions, debates, etc. to find out what popular opinion is within the party is key." How would you set this up and ensure it happened? What format would you consider fit for this purpose?
    I will be honest, this I haven't thought about. The Party is quite active on Discord, and we have regular meetings. And often, many of our changes are run past the membership. But how would it work specifically? Well, the fun is in the finding out, I suppose. Sorry if you wanted something more specific.

"We're working on a brilliant way behind-scenes to go through more Crowdsourcing on our manifesto. " Interesting, following this your thoughts on liquid democracy? For example the app represent?
    Our original manifesto was crowdsourced. It's the only way I'd consider it being written, with the membership being at the forefront of our decisions.
    I've never taken the time to sit down and properly teach myself about liquid democracy, but everything I have seen leads me to think it's... well, I like it. I like fundamentally how it works, and would love to see it in practise sometime.

I love the clean and clear policies of our Icelandic party, would you have thoughts on doing something similar for the UK, Whilst maintaing a detailed manifesto for GE's? ( ref Core-Policies and Pirate Codex )
    We do have a similar setup of having seven baseline policies (the seven lines at the top of the policy page). But yeah... Anything that is a good idea, and would benefit our people as a party is something I would consider. I will happily work with others to do research into things like that to further the party. :)
  • ThyPirateDaveThyPirateDave South Wales
    edited February 1
    Hello @Finbar

To answer your questions:
    I sorta already did this heh but if we're talking power at a higher level, getting in the local press is essential for raising awareness for elections/re-election. It also shows we're not a single issue party, as local papers rarely care about something like copyright reform off the bat. Locally, it's an ideal environment to exercise how we aren't in power for our pet projects and ultimately think politicians should operate openly and transparently.

The most effective practices I've found so far are:

1) Publish everything you do/all data you have
    2) Through crowd-sourcing, represent the wishes of your constituents
    3) Get in the local paper as much as possible

It's incredibly important to note local press won't care about your own story in politics, they don't even pay attention to the big wig AMs or MPs for the most part here. Instead you need to be really involved locally, rather than just being a local person with a story. Success stories and failures of your opposition are favourites for them to print. Talk about the council refusing to fix roads or a charity you're helping is succeeding.

Outside of a local level, I've had some success approaching publishers, from blogs to online radio hosts and it worked on an individual level, allowing me to raise my profile some what - which yielded a surprisingly higher-than-normal result in my GE2015 campaign. I was the only candidate that didn't have a paper campaign (no leaflets etc) and my candidacy cost zero (aside the deposit) yet I still polled 0.3%. Most polling 0.3-0.4%, with one polling 0.8%.
    Which policy of PPUK's GE Manifesto do you rally behind the most?
    Out of our three core policies, Free Speech is the most important one for me. I do believe anyone has the right to say anything and equally, we can either not listen or say anything back. I don't believe the offence-taking culture is useful and I've been in parties where offence taking was valued more highly than someone actually discussing a very serious point.

Out of our principals I'd again pick number 1, but 7 is actually a close 2nd for me.

Outside of that and within our array of policies, it's difficult to pick a single policy, as some are important and precise, single issues and others target multiple anti-civil liberty laws, which are also very important to me.

Ultimately I value our civil liberties above anything else. I don't think you can achieve many(any?) other objectives unless you have the ability to freely express your argument.

If you're going to pin me down on a single policy, I'd go for this one.
    Honestly Discord is working really well. It has been, in the past, an absolute nightmare getting everyone on a single platform and I've had to jump from one app to another, from one website to another... just to get all the pieces to fit together for a Press Release. These days that isn't a problem for the active members but our engagement with membership is still quite low.

IT are also working to migrate pads on to our own platform. Pads have been annoying me for a long time but we've never had the resources to host our own (and by resources I mean IT volunteers) so it would sometimes stifle our ability to respond to things quick enough.

If we're looking to the "next" problem to overcome, it would be for our crew of volunteers to take on some kind of official roles and act more autonomously. Currently a lot of people feel they need to ask "is it ok if I write about X" or need pointing towards something. This is bottle necking us a bit as while we have volunteers, "approval" is coming from the same people. Work here has been started but there is a bit more to do yet.

As for engagement statistics and ous having 500 people but not 500 volunteers, this is because of two things:

1) Most organisations like ours don't seem to get more than around 10% engagement from their membership anyway
    2) Our party tends to attract a lot of slacktivists (I can be one at times myself).

We already have the tools and methods in place that parties our size and larger don't utilise for engagement, such as an online discussion platform and online voting (TUSC/Libertarian Party/Many others don't have anything like this) so we're actually going above and beyond to get engagement already.
    Why, it's you Finbar, you're my idol, and if you vote for me, you'll continue to be.

I was actually stuck in a lift once. We pressed the alarm and no-one came, so we had to reach up into the corner of the lift until we got signal and phone reception.

So I guess my idol is vodafone for providing a good signal...
    Thanks
    You're welcome!
    edited February 1
    Hey @HeadOpener

We've cleared up the principals section, so they're far more obvious than they used to be. We do need to advertise our Core Policies in an even more obvious way than the principals but currently our website is exceptionally limiting and difficult to use. Once IT has migrated it so our running costs aren't preventing us from standing candidates naturally we'll do some real work on the website itself.

I spent literally weeks de-cluttering the website already. It was horrendous before and not even staff could find anything. Simple tricks like the three-click-rule weren't obeyed for example. A lot of that is fixed now but, yes, still more to do.
  • edited February 1
    @ThyPirateDave Thanks For answering on your birthday! :D
    "If we're looking to the "next" problem to overcome, it would be for our crew of volunteers to take on some kind of official roles and act more autonomously. Currently a lot of people feel they need to ask "is it ok if I write about X" or need pointing towards something. This is bottle necking us a bit as while we have volunteers, "approval" is coming from the same people. Work here has been started but there is a bit more to do yet." So I fall into this category for sure, I would happily do more, but don't want to step on someones toes, screw up or generally hinder more than help. How do you plan to fix this?
    edited February 3
    How do you plan to fix this?
    Quite simply by asking people what they want to get involved in or if they're unsure, through conversation work out what they can do and assign them some lightweight stuff at first and go from there.

We do need to encourage more people to log into Discord by default - as a lot of organising gets done there. For example it would be difficult for anyone on the press team to work now without using the discord medium.

Alternatively graphics folks can be given remote tasks - designing leaflets for example. Social media people can also be given some degree of autonomy, such as (re)tweeting stuff in relation to our core policies and generally responding to people on facebook/twitter - sign posting - that sort of thing.

A policy co-ordinator can also do the bulk of the work on their own, compiling a lot of our one-liner policies into something more of a plan. I combined a lot of our similar single one-liner policies, which numbered about 3-4 and combined them. For example we'd have:

1) Make the tax system more simple
    2) Appoint a tax minister to make tax more simple
    3) Make it easier to understand who is responsible for collection and administration of tax

This is now one policy here.

Policies can be combed by one person and simply approved by NEC to ensure their original meaning is kept.

Basically there is plenty to do, we just need to either delegate it properly or start seeing if anyone is willing to come forward into an official appointable role that can delegate tasks, like a volunteer co-ordinator of sorts. This hasn't been done already because we've been working on getting discord advertised everywhere, really promoting it and replacing IRC links with Discord. Now we just need to start dishing out the work.