Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Board Nomination - Phil Cooke - Questions Thread

I have recently nominated myself as a candidate for the Board of Governors. I would love to answer any questions you may have regarding my candidacy for the role.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread and I will respond as soon as I am able.

Comments

• I'm delighted to be able to second Phil.
  • Thanks azrael, I appreciate your support :)
  • Hi Drowz0r,

I've been a member since 2010. At the moment the York branch has stalled as we lost a couple of active members. I'm currently looking at what other branches are doing to see what does/doesn't work and try some things out in the new year. Labour in York Central are losing their current MP in May and they just lost their council/local party leader which isn't good for them with Local & National elections in May - I'm hoping we might be able to field a candidate...

As for political background, PPUK is my first party, although I was a Steward, Branch Chair & Young Members officer at various points for UNISON in Wiltshire in the early 00's.

I'm not overly happy with the phrasing/leading nature of the compass questions, but here's my score: http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-6.25&soc=-5.18

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Phil
  • Hi Phil, great to hear that you're looking to get the York branch back up and running and putting yourself forward as a Governor. Question that I am putting to all 3 people standing - would you consider standing as a parliamentary candidate in May with sufficient support and what can be done to help you with that / would putting yourself forward as a Governor prevent that?
  • Hi Lennon, Thanks for your question :)

I am (and have been for a while) considering the possibility of standing as a parliamentary candidate.

However, I feel I could actually make a bigger impact by standing for local elections which happen at the same time in York & would be more likely to leave time for the Governor post alongside.

I'm currently looking to setup a York meeting in early Jan and if there appears to be enough support I'll make a decision at that time, in conjunction with those who have offered to help (we may have others who are more suitable based on experience or availability to campaign for example).

I hope this answers your question in enough detail?

Phil
  • What, to you, is the 3 most important areas/topics you think PPUK should be working on?
    Secondly, what are the 3 most important areas/topics to you?
  • Hi Ktetch,

This is a difficult one for me - I feel we need to expand our core areas, but this requires additional resources which as a small party (for now...) we simply do not have.

The most important topic (both for myself and in my opinion, for the party) is the ongoing work we do regarding personal freedoms - barely a day goes by without some revelation regarding GCHQ or similar overstepping the mark (I accept some limited surveillance is required but this needs to be targeted, not blanket) or the government introducing some policy that limits our freedom of expression (frequently to benefit big business at our expense). We need to continue challenging this and build our relationships with other organisations (such as Open Rights Group) where appropriate to support this.

Secondly, I believe the party needs to focus on improving its communications, both within the party so members can see what is happening and therefore are more motivated to get involved & also with press releases, website content etc. This again is a resourcing challenge and one I know the party has been working on - it needs to remain a priority for us to gain traction and support our aims as well as recruiting new members.

Finally for party priorities, and this is actually important to me as well, the ongoing work to build up local branches will be key to our success. We need to sow seeds locally and build these up to support our national presence if we are to make a serious difference. I also feel we should be looking at our presence in the various nations of the UK (as David who is also standing has mentioned for Wales) and if standing for those assemblies/parliaments can support our aims as well.

The last area for me personally is sorting out our relationships with PPI, PPEU and the various pirate parties around the world. I feel that PPI is currently a liability to the pirate movement and while PPUK has offered support to solve some of its issues, it continues to be one. However, I do not believe that PPUK should waste resources that are better focused on a national level dealing with this. I don't have a quick fix for this, but dealing with PPI distracts us from the priorities I flagged above.

Hopefully this answers your questions, I'm happy to discuss the above further, or any other questions you may have.
  • Thanks to everyone who took the time out to ask questions and vote in this election.

I'm looking forward to the new role and hope to see nominations for the remaining posts on the Board soon!