Welcome to the Community

Please choose one of the options below to log in and get stuck in!

Login with PPUK

Pirate Book Reviews

Hi all! First time making a forum thread, let's see if anyone reads it ;)

I've been kicking around an idea for a while of doing some book reviews of "Piratey" books. I'm trying to incorporate a lot of Pirate-ish reading material onto my reading list - about things like copyright reform, freedom of information and the internet. Most would be non-fiction, but I would also include fiction that touches on relevant themes.

If there is interest, I would post reviews (probably on an ad-hoc basis, but as regularly as I can manage) of Pirate-friendly books to help other people find out about cool books (and comics, and essays) that discuss our ideals. I would also happily accept recommendations from others about what to read and review!

Here is a shortlist of some books I'm thinking of covering, in no particular order:

F = Fiction NF = Non-Fiction

Makers by Cory Doctorow (F)
The Idealist: Aaron Swartz and the Rise of Free Culture on the Internet by Justin Peters (NF)
The Master Switch: The Rise and Fall of Information Empires by Tim Wu (NF)
Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age by Cory Doctorow (NF)
Hacking Politics: How Geeks, Progressives, the Tea Party, Gamers, Anarchists and Suits Teamed Up to Defeat SOPA and Save the Internet by David Moon and various others (NF)
No Safe Harbor: Essays About Pirate Politics by United States Pirate Party (NF)
Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (F)

(Looking at these, I definitely need some more fiction on the list... does anyone except for Cory Doctorow write fiction with these kinds of themes?)

So how about it? Ay or nay on the book reviews?

Comments

• Ay! Hacking Politics sounds interesting.
  • Sounds good to me, anything to expand my reading material for when I am stuck at a hotel with no wifi is all good :D
  • Awesome, thanks both! I have just finished reading 'Information Doesn't Want to Be Free', so that'll be my first review. I was initially planning to write these as forum posts, then realised it made much more sense to use my PPUK blog so that I can share them around if I want to.

I will post a link once it's up :)
  • Great! Looking forward to reading the review :smile: